Monday, September 2, 2013

The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden

Title: The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden (The Coincidence #1)

Author: Jessica Sorensen

Genre: NA/Romance

Release Date: December 13, 2012

My Rating:
♥♥

There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved. 

 Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her.  After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened.  Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe. 

 For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life.  As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over.  Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him. 

 Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew.  When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her.  But Callie is reserved and closed off.  The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.

~ Goodreads

Okay, so I know everyone has been giving this book five shining stars, but I can't figure out why... the plot is incredibly trite and the characters were less than memorable in my opinion.  I couldn't even finish the entire book!

Callie has a dark secret.  A secret that compelled her to change everything on the outside and struggle to get through every day on the inside.  But she can't tell anyone, because that would cause unspeakable horrors.  When Callie finally moves off to college, she finally takes her first breath of fresh air and freedom.

Kayden has a dark secret.  He attempts to cover them up with long sleeved t-shirts, but no material can cover the internal pain he has every day.  Going off to college allows Kayden an escape from the man who has caused him pain since he was a child.

When Callie saves Kayden, neither of them know what to do.  Callie trembles in fear, while Kayden trembles in pain.  But the last thing they ever expected was an attraction neither of them can deny.  Will they be able to save each other?

I get it, the whole 'I'm damaged on the inside' theme seems pretty popular right now in NA books, but there comes a certain point where it becomes too much.  I swear, I feel like I've read the same book a couple of times, but just with a different title.  No originality.  The characters were one-dimensional and boring.

'Oh, I'm too messed up.  No one understands me...'

My God, sentences like that practically took up the entire book!  So annoying!  Look, I know you're messed up, but don't incessantly wallow in self-pity!  I may be being a little harsh, but seriously.  Get a grip.

Kayden, the love interest, was a complete a**hat in the beginning.  Even towards the end of the book I couldn't stand him!  All he thought about was sex, sex, sex.  I never felt any of his real emotions towards Callie while reading his POV.

Callie, the damaged girl, is an okay main character, but her constant self-pity was pretty aggravating.  I'm not going to say what happened to her because that would be a spoiler, but it is pretty bad.  Although, that doesn't mean she had to let it take over her life.

Are you going to read the second book?
Ummm....no.

Overall, I'm giving The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden a 2/5 because the plot was overrated and nothing substantial transpired between the two main characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © BohoBookLover ♥ | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs